About the District
Over 100 years ago, the first wastewater treatment plant was built in Madison, Wisconsin. In comparison, many communities did not have wastewater treatment for another 50 years. The Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District was created in 1930 by state statute to protect the environment in the region of lakes and streams that comprise the upper Yahara River watershed. The Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District now serves almost 300,000 people in the cities, towns, and villages in the Madison area. The District is governed by a five-member Board of Commissioners appointed by the County Executive. The Board is responsible for setting policy, ensuring fiscal responsibility, and establishing District directions. Wastewater treatment for the entire District is performed at the Nine Springs Wastewater Treatment Plant. District staff are responsible for the administration of the District and for the design and maintenance of interceptor collections sewers and pumping stations which convey wastewater from over 40 municipal customers to the Nine Springs Wastewater Treatment Plant.